Hancock-Clarke House 36 Hancock Street 781-861-0928 April 11–Memorial Day: weekends; Memorial Day-November 1: daily 10:00am-4:00pm, tours on the hour
Built in 1737, this house was the parsonage for the town of Lexington during the 18th century. Visit the home of Reverend Jonas Clarke where patriot guests John Hancock and Samuel Adams were awakened by Paul Revere and his famous warning in the early hours of April 19, 1775. Highlights: First Shot: The Day the Revolution Began orientation film, Treasures of the Revolution exhibit, Colonial herb garden. Last tour of the house begins at 4:00 pm.
“[The Hancock-Clarke house has] a great introductory video” - Trip Advisor ®
Buckman Tavern 1 Bedford Street 781-862-5598 March 15–November 28: daily (Closed Easter & Thanksgiving Day) 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, Self-paced audio tour Museum shop opens at 9:30am
Built in 1710, this central tavern on the Green was a gathering place for both locals and travelers and the site of many important town meetings. Captain Parker and his militia gathered in this tavern in the early morning hours of April 19, 1775, to await the oncoming British Redcoat troops. Last entry in to the tavern is at 4:00 pm.
“They make history come alive and when you look out the window you can almost see the Redcoats coming” - Trip Advisor ®
Munroe Tavern 1332 Massachusetts Ave 781-862-0295 April 11-Memorial Day: open weekends; Memorial Day-November 1: daily 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Built in 1735, this important tavern was taken over and used by the British Redcoat troops on their retreat back to Boston in the afternoon of April 19, 1775. Learn about the British perspective of the day’s events and see where President Washington dined when he visited Lexington and this Tavern in 1789. Highlights: Relics of the Redcoats exhibit, Garden of Colonial Flowers, Museum Shop. Last entry into the tavern is at 4:00 pm
“History is brought to life” - Trip Advisor ®
Lexington Green Outdoor attraction, open year round Summer: staffed Battle Green Guides 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
See the Lexington Green where the first battle of the American Revolution took place on April 19, 1775. Visit the historical markers and monuments on your own, or schedule a group tour . Visit in April to see the reenactmentof this famous battle. The Battle Green is attended to by colonial period costumed guides for most of the spring, summer and fall seasons. The guides, who are employees of the Town of Lexington, serve a function similar to park rangers. They give free tours of the Green including a detailed account of the events of April 19, 1775 and can answer other questions regarding Lexington’s history and attractions.
Old Belfry Outdoor attraction, open year-round
The Belfry was located on the Lexington Common (noted with a stone marker today) during the 18th century where it summoned people to worship and tolled for deaths and alarms. From this Belfry, the alarm was sounded on the morning of April 19, 1775, calling the militia to the Common.
The Belfry that stands today is an exact replica, built by the Historical Society in 1910, after the original was destroyed in a gale in 1909. A 19th century bell now hangs in the Belfry and is tolled each year to signal the start of the Patriots’ Dayreenactment.
Old Burying Ground Outdoor attraction, open year-round
The Old Burying Ground dates back to 1690 and contains the remains of many well-known Lexingtonians, including the grave of Captain John Parker, ministers John Hancock and Jonas Clarke and their spouses, and an unnamed Redcoat soldier who was wounded in Lexington during the battle on April 19, 1775 and died a few days later.