Please read these requirements carefully, as they will be fully enforced for all renters.
Renters are required to sign a contract prior to the rental stating that they have read and understood the agreement and the policies stated below.
1. It is highly recommended that prospective renters come in and tour the facility before renting, to ensure that they understand the rental requirements and are familiar with the space.
2. The Historical Society will contact renters about a week before their event to set up a time to pick up a key to the Depot. Renters are given 3 business days after their event to return the key to The Historical Society office, located in the Depot building. If the key is not returned within 3 business days, a $10 fee will be charged to the credit card on file.
3. Renter must be a Lexington resident or business.
4. The Depot can seat up to 75 people comfortably for a sit-down meal, or about 100 people seated auditorium style. Maximum capacity for a standing reception is 115 individuals. Renter will ensure that no more than 115 guests are present at their event, as to do otherwise would raise significant safety concerns.
5. Event must be an adult function. (i.e. No children’s birthday parties, graduation parties, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs etc.)
6. Renter must set up and break down all tables and chairs before & after event, leaving the building the way you found it.
7. Set up for weekday rentals is not allowed prior to 3:30pm unless approved ahead of time.
8. Renter must vacuum after event (vacuum provided).
9. Renter must remove all trash/recyclables.
10. Renter must remove all remaining food and drink.
11. The Depot facility is equipped with 100 folding chairs, (6x) 8’ rectangular tables, (2x) 6’ rectangular tables, (2x) square card tables, and a lectern. If any other arrangements are needed, additional equipment can be rented from either Taylor Rental of Arlington or Peterson Party Center of Woburn.
12. Arrangements must be made with outside rental company for drop off and pick up of any additional equipment that has been rented. No rental equipment may be dropped off before the day of the rental, and all rental equipment must be picked up promptly by 9:00am the day following the rental. If renter is unable to meet this requirement, renters may make arrangements to rent the space for an additional day at the same rental rate, unless the space is unavailable due to another rental or event.
13. No special parking facilities are available, though there is a large, inexpensive municipal lot directly behind the Depot Building. Vehicles may not be driven onto or parked on any part of the patio surrounding the Depot, including the front, back, and sides of the building. Renters are allowed to pull in front of the building for loading and unloading ONLY for a maximum of 15 minutes at a time. Do not cover the crosswalk.
14. Nothing may be hung on the walls, windows, window frames, or pillars of the Depot building during a rental. If a dance floor or anything similar is rented, do not tape to the rug.
15. No seating may be arranged around the outside of the Depot building, as that has raised issues and safety concerns. Additionally, no alcohol may be taken outside of the Depot building onto the patio during a rental.
16. Renters must use exercise discretion on volume of any music played during the rental period.
17. Renters are responsible for the orderly conduct of their guests, and they shall comply with any and all direction and requests of the Historical Society representative in charge of the event.
18. There shall be no smoking, no lit candles, no fire, no propane, and no open flame of any kind in any area of the facility or on the grounds of the facility.
19. If the event is catered, it is required that a Lexington caterer who is registered with the Lexington Board of Health must provide it.
20. Though the rental space does include a kitchen equipped with a refrigerator, freezer, microwave, oven, and stovetop that the renter may use, please note that these are meant to be used for the heating and serving of food only. They may not be used for food preparation. No additional food preparation equipment may be used at the Depot without permission from the Society in advance. The dishwasher in the Depot kitchen is not available to renters.
21. The items in all of the storage areas of the kitchen with doors, as well as the coffee urns and tea pots are for Society use only and are not to be used by renters.
22. Renters may not use the elevator lift under any circumstances.
23. If alcohol is served, renter must hire a licensed bar-tender and provide the Society with a copy of their liquor liability insurance certificate. If the renter’s caterer does not provide licensed bartending services, it is recommended that Harvard Student Agencies is contacted for bartenders. Copies of insurance and certifications must be presented to the Lexington Historical Society at the time when the Depot Key is picked up.
24. If alcohol is served and there is a charge for the event or for the alcohol, renters must obtain a one-day liquor permit from the Board of Selectman. Renters must apply for this in advance, as it could take several days to be approved. Copies of both the insurance form from the bartender and the one-day liquor license from the Town of Lexington must be presented to the Lexington Historical Society at the time when the Depot Key is picked up.
25. Renters shall not give the Historical Society’s phone number to any rental or catering company. Those contacts should be handled directly by the renter. Historical Society personnel will not be available for any deliveries or pickups. Rental companies will not be permitted in the building if the renter is not present.
26. As part of the rental contract, renters are required to provide a credit card for security. If clean-up conditions are not complied with or damages are done to the building, an additional fee will be charged.
27. If there is a need for cancellation, the Historical Society must be notified at least 48 hours in advance and during business hours by calling the office at 781 862 1703. The 50% deposit is non-refundable; however, we will refund the remaining balance (if it has already been paid) as long as we are notified 48 hours in advance and during business hours. There will be a $25 fee charged if the renter would like to reschedule their event, and the deposit can then be applied to that later date.
28. For an additional $50 fee, in addition to the standard rental fees, renters of the Depot can request to utilize its A/V equipment. The $50 fee will entitle renters to the use of the A/V equipment during the entirety of the rental. Renters will be provided with a clipboard, stating clear directions on how to use the projection equipment, as well as the projector remote. Renters will also be provided with an HDMI cable and/or a VGA cable for their use. Renters will need to bring their own computer/input device. Renters will also be given the WiFi network name and security key (which are provided on the clipboard), should they wish to utilize the wireless internet during their rental. Please note that, while we will provide you with this wireless network information, we cannot guarantee its reliability. If the clipboard and remote are not returned to their proper location at the end of the event, the credit card on file will be charged a $100 fine. If the VGA and HDMI cables are not returned to their proper location at the end of the event, the credit card on file will be charged a $10 fine per missing cable. Should renters be interested in using the rental equipment, they must notify the office and pay the $50 projector rental fee prior to picking up their Depot key.